I visited my endocrinologist yesterday and learned about my future options in pumps, got to be weighed on the giant weighing station (that's always the best -- not), and most importantly, got my a1c taken. For the last nine or ten months, I've been in the 8s, and was hoping for an improvement from my 8.7.
The nurse was nice and he made small talk with me, and when I told him the a1c had me real nervous, he said he'd get it to me as soon as he had it so I wouldn't have to wait in fear.
When he told me it was 8.8, I cried a little. It was embarrassing, but I've had a rough week and probably would've cried more if he wasn't in there consoling me. He said it wasn't too bad, that he's seen people jump from 8 to 11 (8.8 is the highest I've been), and at the very least, I'm consistent. Before leaving he asked if I wanted a glass of water, and I said no. When the door shut, I focused on calming myself. It wasn't a jump like last time, you didn't go up .6 like last time, and you've been doing what you're told.
Sure enough, everything on me spiked. Basal and bolus both went up, the diabetes educators talked to me about the Medtronic cgm system and the newly approved system that will adjust basal rates based on your readings from your cgm sensor.
Gee, I wish I had that last night. After taking a correction dosage for a high of 300, I caught myself before I dropped. It was bedtime, I was tired, and I shuddered to think about the result of if I'd gone to sleep without checking.
Sure enough, about midnight, I'm coming back up, but now I'm feeling sick. Swishing Coca-Cola will do that to you, I suppose. So, instead of going to bed, where my boyfriend slept peacefully, I slept halfway upright on the couch so I wouldn't feel the need to barf I got when lying down. After a fitful three hours on the couch, I finally felt well enough to go to bed.
Waking up, my bloodsugar is high. Again. But now I'm scared to bolus, I don't want to drop again and feel that horrible Coca-Cola-induced anxiety and jitters. I'll be calling the diabetes educators... After a nap, that is.
No comments:
Post a Comment